I met Ally many moons ago at the Edmonton Airport when she was heading off to Thailand with my daughter, Sally and a couple of other girlfriends for a 5 month post education, education on traveling.
Fast forward a few years and Ally crossed our doorstep here at Healing Connections as a student of Massage Therapy. She did her school practicum here at Healing Connections and very soon became an integral part of the business. Ally is the person who manages our website and is a speedster on the computer.
Ally brings her passion of bodywork and health and skincare to the table. What I value most about Ally is her openness, her willingness to learn and her heart and oh..yes her beautiful smile.
We are a better business with Ally.
With no further adieu , let me introduce Ally.
How long have you been in the Healing Arts?
- I have been in the Healing Arts for 4 about years now and look forward to delving deeper for the rest of my life.
Do you have a specific Modality?
- I practice massage therapy, which is what brought me to Healing Connections to begin with. I love to give luxuriously oily floaty sessions that have you falling asleep and drooling, however I also take great pride in being able to provide a solid therapeutic massage that provides healing and pain relief. I enjoy adding cupping and essential oils to my sessions. Last year I completed all 3 levels of my Reiki training… which has been life changing for me. Not only has the work been a lovely enhancement in my massage sessions, but it allows me to reach a profound level of healing that is constantly teaching me and quite frankly… blowing my mind. Reiki has taught me about simplicity… and that is something I am very grateful to pass on and share with others. Bodywork has greatly shaped my life, and I believe is truly my calling.
What type of clients do you like to work with?
- I enjoy working with folks from all walks of life, although I do like to work with people who are often misunderstood, stressed, anxious or depressed. I like to work with people who are looking for change, people who are maybe “waking up” and are looking to dip their toes in a little deeper… as I too was there, not long ago. I like to be present and hold a healing space for every one I meet therefore I am honoured to assist individuals who feel they are struggling and are needing support.
How do you practice self care?
- In the last few years, especially since being a bodyworker, I have learned that self care is incredibly necessary and sacred. I practice self care in many fun and funky ways. From stretching naked on my yoga mat with Elvis blaring and sage burning to a hot bath with a variety of salts, oils and herbs. Self care to me is anything that brings me home, brings me comfort, peace, relief and relaxation. Dancing, laying in hot water, oils, smudging, painting being with my loved ones & my cat Ricky, painting, yoga, massage therapy, the fireplace channel…. this is my self care.
What brings you joy?
- What brings me joy is basically all the things that I posted above. I certainly am a homebody and love being cozy in my sacred space. However it also brings me great joy to be wild, and carefree with my best friends… spontaneous and travelling…experiencing new things… and the opposite of what I know and am used to in my daily life. I live for those moments when you feel you are truly “alive”.
What is the gift that you bring to the table?
- I believe that I can comfort and hold space for almost anyone. I love meeting people, talking to them.. really hearing what makes them happy and why they are hurting. I think I have the gift of making people feel supported, heard and welcomed. I think I am beginning to tap in to the gift of really listening to and feeling the rhythm and energy of the body, enabling the work to naturally go deeper.
Do you have any expectation of your client?
- I have some basic expectations. I expect my client to respect me, I expect my clients to communicate with me.. in sessions and out of sessions. I know that we are all experiencing this life on very different levels, so I do not have many other expectations for my client. I just do my thing, and I am here to assist & support them while they do theirs.
Do you have mentors , or teachers whose teachings or name you would like to share with us, as we may benefit from their teachings?
- I most definitely do, and many are all around me here at Healing Connections. I will be forever grateful that I have these healers in my life, not only because they are tremendous human beings and friends… but also because every single day I am learning something new. From CranioSacral therapists to Shamanic Healers, I am surrounded by the most incredible and unique support system there is. When it comes to bodywork, I actually follow a few people on Instagram that I greatly admire and recently have started influencing my massage and self care routines. To name a couple, Joe Yoon (@joetherapy) and Vin Pham (@vinnierehab)
What is your prediction for this earth and its inhabitants? Do you think we will make it as a species? Are you optimistic? or do you think we are doomed?
- In 2018, this question is is difficult to answer, because most of me wants to say I truly do not think we will make it as a species. We as humans are ruining this planet in all ways and it seems like many people find it a lot easier to turn the other cheek. I am a firm believer that a lot of “big” news we hear and read isn’t necessarily always true, which also leads me to believe a lot of real & important news is left out. What I’m getting at is, this question is that much harder to answer because I don’t think we really know much truth about our planet, our species, our governments etc to begin with… let alone predict the future. I think that there is possibly life on other planets, I think there may be more species, I think we are silly to think we know anything at all! I am mostly optimistic with a pinch of doom.