Castor Oil is derived from the bean of the Ricinus communis or Palma Christi plant (palm of Christ). The Palma Christi has been used therapeutically for centuries in folk medicine of ancient India, China, Persia, Africa, Greece, Rome, and the Americas. It has large, beautiful palmate leaves hence the name, Palma Christi.
Edgar Cayce, a medical intuitive known as the “sleeping prophet”, introduced castor oil packs for the treatment of many conditions.
Some of the numerous uses of castor oil include the treatment of breast cysts, fibroids, ovarian cysts, congestion of abdominal organs, skin conditions, small benign cysts, and adhesions from surgery. Wherever there is congestion, scar tissue, decreased blood flow and the need for healing, castor oil can be an effective treatment option.
What does castor oil do?
Research has shown that castor oil has a unique chemical profile rich in ricinoleic acid which is found only in castor beans from which the oil is extracted. Double blind studies conducted by the Association for Research and Enlightenment, Inc. demonstrated and increase in lymphocyte production and the level of activity of T-cell lymphocytes in the group that used castor packs. T-cell lymphocytes originate from bone marrow and the thymus gland and identify and kill invaders such as virus, bacteria, and fungi.
In addition to strengthening the immune system, castor oil appears to have a balancing effect on the autonomic nervous system, increasing liver activity and improving digestion. Tumors, fibroids, and cysts can be shrunken by re-absorption.
What is a castor oil pack?
The standard pack recommended by Edgar Cayce consists of several layers of white wool flannel, (holds heat better), but cotton flannel is also used with excellent results. Castor oil is soaked on the material and applied to the area in need of healing.
How is a castor oil pack used?
Technique #1 – Classic Arvigo Techniqe
- Warm the castor oil to skin temperature in a non-metallic pot.
- Soak the flannel in the oil to make sure it is well saturated but not dripping.
- Place the pack over the area to be treated, and cover the pack with plastic food wrap.
- Place a heat source, a heating pad or hot water bottle, on top of the pack to maintain consistent warmth throughout the treatment. Secure this in place with a heavy towel.
- Adjust the heat setting to your comfort, but do not fall asleep while using the heating pad!! Continue treatment for one hour.
- An alternative to using the pack without a heat source; secure pack with a towel wrapped around your body, secure with safety pins, leave in place overnight.
Technique #2 – Detoxification or Improved Lymphatic Drainage
- Liberally apply castor oil to abdomen
- Cover with piece of flannel, then a plastic bag
- Apply a hot water bottle or mud pack.
- Cover with a towel
- Wrap yourself in blanket and keep warm for 45 minutes – 1 1/2 hour.
- When using the pack to improve lymphatic circulation the pack must be applied regularly for at least one month.
- **Alternate the frequency of the applications so that the body does not become dependent upon the treatment. Week one: every day. Week two: every other day. Week three: three days on and three days off. Week four: two days on, two days off.
Technique #3 – Scar Tissue Treatment
- Apply liberally over the healed scar.
- Cover with a piece of flannel, plastic bag and hot water bottle for 15 minutes.
- Proceed with treatment for scar tissue.
***For All Techniques:
While the pack is working, quietly meditate to connect your mind and body healing energies. This assists with spiritual essence of the plant to assist in your healing. Oftentimes, people find the thoughts that occur in this meditative state are as important as the properties of the oil to their healing process. Journal your thoughts, feelings, or images that may occur during this treatment.
Taking Care of Your Castor Oil Pack
You can use the same piece of flannel for up to one month. Simply store the flannel in a plastic bag and keep in the fridge. Wash out every month in a separate load in your washer to prevent staining.
Castor Oil Quick Facts:
- Detoxification: (kidney, liver, gall bladder)
- Increased lymphatic/blood circulation
- Improves elimination in the gastrointestinal tract
- Removes lactic acid from muscle
- Increases breast milk flow in lactating mothers
- Increases pliability of scar tissue
- Menstrual cramps
- Arthritic pain
- Stagnant lymphatic drainage
- Decreased breast milk production
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Uterine fibroids
- Scar tissue
- Acute inflammation
- Open wounds
About the Author
Information Adapted from The Arvigo Institute @ www.arvigotherapy.com