Book your Massage or Wellness Session
Arvigo Techniques of Mayan Abdominal Massage
This gentle external massage technique focuses on decreasing lymphatic congestion in the abdomen and pelvis while improving blood flow, nerve innervation, energy flow, overall vitality. It assists with some of the following conditions for women:
- Prolapsed uterus or bladder.
- Painful menstruation/ovulation
- Recurrent bladder/yeast infections
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic congestion/scar tissue
Some symptoms of a displaced uterus are:
- Dark blood at the beginning or end of the menstrual cycle
- Painful, irregular periods or irregular painful ovulation
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic miscarriages
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Varicose veins of the legs, and/or tired weak numb legs
- Low backache, back pain with period
- Painful intercourse
What causes a displaced uterus?
- Overstretching of ligaments during pregnancy and birth
- Injury to sacrum or tailbone (falls, car accident, sports injury etc.)
- High impact exercise
- Lifting and carrying heavy objects before or during menstruation or too soon after childbirth
- Post partum – can help restore the spinal column and pelvis to pre-pregnancy status
It can assist with the following concerns for men:
- Frequency of urination
- Improved fertility
- Improved prostate health
- Decreased swelling and inflammation
Both women and men benefit from improved digestion and concerns with irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, and constipation.
What to Expect in an ATMAT treatment:
An initial ATMAT treatment is around 90 minutes, with follow up treatments being 60 minutes long. During the appointment there will be a comprehensive review of your past and present healthcare needs, focusing on reproductive and digestive health. Following that will be the abdominal massage that helps:
- Align reproductive and abdominal organs to optimal position
- Improve circulation to organs
- Promote vital flow to support the body’s inherent healing capacity
Your treatment also includes bodywork on your lower back as well. There will be an evaluation of the alignment of your spine and pelvis and then accompanying bodywork to help correct any imbalance you may have. ATMAT is also great for anyone who has ever fallen on their tailbone/sacrum as it helps to reduce scar tissue in the area and promote circulation and flow in the area.
You will also leave the session with ‘homework’ – you will teach you how to do the self-care massage at home so you can continue to heal between sessions.
You may also be recommended complimentary modalities to support healing:
- Faja – a traditional lower abdomen support wrap
- Bajos – traditional herbal pelvic steam bath of the Maya
- Castor oil packs
- Nutritional and herbal support
- Lifestyle education
Typically, 2-3 professional sessions (at a minimum) are required to address most conditions. Clients who perform their self-care massage and complimentary therapies as suggested report an improvement faster, resulting in a fewer amount of professional sessions being required.